Saturday, January 22, 2011

First post - S&M single review


Above is the official cover art for Rihanna's "third" single off of Loud (if you don't count Raining Men, which is fine by me). With such a stylized art direction with the albums visuals, it's understandable that the label wants to keep some similar design elements with products released, it's smart marketing, makes is more recognizable and re-brands her as an artist, however, as is so often the case with official single covers, it's lacking in presence, creativity, originality, and doesn't really reflect the meaning and tone of the single.

This was instantly my favorite song, helped by the fact that it's the albums' opener, it almost plays like a sequal to Only Girl with its' strong, bass driven beat crafted by frequent RiRi collaborator Stargate (Firework, Rude Boy, Take A Bow) and penned by Ester Dean, the songwrite behind What's My Name, Firework and Not Myself Tonight. Strong digital downloads have already made the song impact on the Billboard Hot 100 chart ahead of the release date, and honestly it's a no-brainer to release S&M, I'd bet money on it being Rihanna's first #1 in 2011 (and maybe her only one).

"I may be bad but I'm perfectly good at it, sex in the air, I don't care, I love the smell of it, sticks and stones may break my bones but chains and whips excite me."

Cover made by yours truly, I felt that the cover needed to be more contrasted and vibrant, and to me this is a much more sensual pic than the one they chose originally.

No comments:

Post a Comment